In Association with Amazon.com

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Click Here For Hollywood: The dark side of the moon

WorldNetDaily: Hollywood: The dark side of the moon: "Speaking of Charlton Heston, I have to relate a personal anecdote. A few years ago, my wife and I were at a dinner party with five other couples. All the men worked or had worked in the industry as writers, directors or producers. After dinner, as we were sitting around having coffee, someone started to say something insulting about Mr. Heston. One of the others quickly agreed. Soon, everyone was trashing the man. Finally, I piped up and said, 'Well, agree with him or not, you have to give him credit for having the courage to voice a contrary opinion in this town. After all, he is an actor for hire.'
Well, nobody would acknowledge what I regarded as an obvious fact of Hollywood life. I mean, in a town in which people will readily admit they're drunks or drug addicts, Heston was one of the few people who ever had the nerve to be openly conservative. These people hated Heston so much � a man who had walked shoulder to shoulder with Martin Luther King in Selma � that they could not even give him credit for having the courage of his convictions.
The part I really loved was when one of the guests, who had begun to think that I wasn't quite as liberal as he had suspected, finally asked me if I owned any guns. When I said I didn't, you could see the entire room relax � apparently I wasn't as terrible as they had thought. Then I pointed to my wife and said, 'I don't, but she does.' It was delightful to see 10 jaws drop to the floor. "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home